Friday, November 7, 2008

No singing required

My mother joined the iPod contingent in July with a nano phatty. Since then, she has enjoyed it but complained about singing. As it turns out, she sings a lot when she is listening to music and she was concerned about getting strange looks while singing with headphones on. In fact, on a recent flight, she had to switch a podcast because she was singing on the plane -- not a good thing.

This morning, I was listening to my iPod in the car and it selected three songs in a row that required singing.
(links to iTunes store if you want to listen to a preview)

This is odd since I don't seem to have inherited the singing with music gene but it did make me think of her! Maybe I was singing because it's sunny out. Maybe I was singing because it's Friday. Maybe I was singing because I'm my mother's daughter.

4 comments:

  1. I sing all the time with my nano on. I usually use it when doing yardwork and I forget that other people can hear me.

    The cure for that? Get Rock Band :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sing with my iPod on all the time. And yes, people do tend to look at you like you have a kumquat on your nose. Makes it all the more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure it's no worse that people who talk into their mobile phones loudly in inappropriate places -- like public bathrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed at the thought of your Mom singing on the airplane! :)

    I sing along with music all the time. I totally embarrassed myself a few weeks ago. I was walking back through our fields with the dogs and my iPod, singing away, thinking I was alone (because hey, we have 86 acres! Who would be around?) While I did know our farmer (the guy who rents land from us) had been around the day before and left his tractor, I DIDN'T know he was there that day. In fact, I sang loudly and obliviously until the dogs came running towards me, then right past me to Dave, who was waving his arms at me, trying to get my attention. When he caught up, he said "Hey, that was just like an iPod commercial!" Oh my... how embarrassing! To make it worse, I think I was singing along to Carly Simon's "Nobody Does it Better" at the time. While I DO have more current and "with it" music, it wasn't on at the time.

    ReplyDelete