Monday, January 14, 2008

Batter bread

I baked bread yesterday afternoon, as I do many Sunday afternoons during the winter. We decided to use a one loaf recipe that I have had for about forever. I first made this bread in about 1991. It's hard to believe that I've been making this recipe for so long.

I received this cookbook for Christmas either my junior or senior year of college after saying that I had a hard time cooking much because everything seemed to take so many ingredients. The kitchen in my apartment was tiny and we had no spices or anything. We had salt and pepper but that was about it. I didn't start using this recipe until after graduation, though. I was attracted to it because the kitchen in my first place in Raleigh -- Cumberland Cove -- had most of the counter space devoted to a bar area. That meant no place to knead bread.

Easy Batter Bread

1 package dry yeast
1 1/4 cups water (105° to 115°F)
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups bread flour

Combine yeast, water and honey in a small bowl; stir slightly. Let stand until doubled in size, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine yeast mixture, butter, salt and 2 cups of flour. If using a mixer, beat on low speed until blended. Beat at medium speed for about 1 minutes. Stir in remaining flour with wooden spoon. Cover and let rise in a warm place, about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Sir batter down spoon into greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place, about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.

Bake at 375°F for 35 to 45 minutes or until browned and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan and cool on rack. Makes 1 loaf.

Recipe Source: Six Ingredients or Less by Carlean Johnson

While the bread was doing it's thing, I made a big batch of marinara and made stuffed shells. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment