I haven't test driven anything. The whole new car purchase deal is a ways off. I'm just starting to notice what models are out and think about what I might be interested in driving in the future.
What I want in a car
- good mileage
- ability to haul bikes, prefer to use rack attached to trailer hitch
- ability to haul dogs
- good for camping
- ability to haul kayaks (there's some give and take here)
- cute (or at least not ugly)
- manual transmission?
The practical side of me forced me to break down some costs associated with car ownership.
- Honda Element
- EPA estimated combined mileage of 20 mpg
- 4WD available
- 1500 towing capacity
- about $20,000
- The Subarus
- 19 city, 26 highway for Outback and similar for Forester
- 2700 towing capacity (2400 for Forester)
- The Outback and Forester both run about $22,000
- Honda Fit for Fit Sport
- EPA estimated combined mileage of 31 mpg
- towing not recommended, can you get a trailer hitch for bikes?
- about $15,000
- 16,000 miles * 6 years = 96,000 miles / 20 mpg = 4800 gallons of gas * $4 = $19,200
- 16,000 miles * 6 years = 96,000 miles / 31 mpg = 3100 gallons of gas * $4 = $12,400
Today, I was on another group ride. We passed a Honda Fit Sport in Milano red. It was kind of cute...