Monday, June 11, 2007

Tour de Cure

(imported from FB)

This weekend I participated in my second Tour de Cure to benefit the American Diabetes Association. On Saturday, several hundred cyclists rode a 75-mile route from Cary, NC to Oxford, NC where we had an overnight stop at the Masonic Home for Children and on Sunday, we cycled back to Cary.

On Saturday, I rode with a team of varying abilities and conditioning. This -- along with 95 degree heat -- presented some challenges. I got really frustrated with some folks on the team but in the end we all finished together in Oxford.

Many of the people on the team had elected to participate on Saturday only. As a result I did not ride with the team on Sunday. That presented its own challenges but the cooler weather on Sunday helped to make it a pleasant ride. For the return trip on Sunday I made awesome time -- 18.1 average which is great for me -- and that was good too.

In this area, the MS150 is the big ride and this is just a tiny baby one but I'll continue to support it. I'd like to see the Tour de Cure grow into a larger event and I would encourage any local cyclist to participate in future rides. The route is very nice and the volunteer and other riders help to make it a fun event.

I was the only member of the team to complete the route on both days.

No comments:

Post a Comment