Saturday, October 27, 2007

le Tour de Femme, raising money for cancer research

Erica, low carbing it before the rideToday I participated in le Tour de Femme. This was the second year for the ride and about 130 women participated. The number of riders double from the first year to the second year and they hope to double it again for the 2008 edition. This ride is a fund raiser for Grab My Wheel, a charity supporting the Angel Fund at Rex Hospital and the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The host site was Cycling Spoken Here in Cary.

Yesterday, I was really worried about the weather. It was pouring rain and while we really needed the rain, I didn't think that riding for over three hours in the pouring rain sounded like the best way to spend a Saturday morning. I was planning to do it, and gauge my level of misery when the metric and half metric rides split. Today it was overcast at the start and sunny by the time we finished.

Lisa, at the start of le Tour de Femme. This was her first metric. Go Lisa!The ride was extremely well supported. After today's ride, I certainly plan to participate in this even annually. The route was pretty nice and it was the first time I've been on a ride where the SAG was provided via motorcycle! It was really cool the way they had volunteers at all of the turns in the Preston neighborhood, making sure that no one missed a turn and having different cookies at each rest stop, well, that's just winner!

In case you are wondering, the speed was pretty good too. The group that I rode with averaged 18.5 mph for the 61+ mile route.

Ride like a girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment