Monday, July 28, 2008

Weekend riding

This weekend I did a lot of riding in preparation for Bike MS in September and the Tarwheels Bikefest in just two weeks. I'm doing the 100 mile route at in the Bikefest so some additional training was in order.

On Saturday I rode in the Cup N Cone, a Bike MS training ride. This was the fourth edition of the ride and I think the third route. The route goes from Goodberry's on Davis Drive in Cary to the Maple View Farm Country Store where riders stop for a cup of ice cream (banana ice cream and raspberry sorbet were both being scooped). The riders then return to Goodberry's for a cone (or cup) of frozen custard. With that kind of motivation on each end of the route, the ride has become very popular! Several of my cycling friends have said that this is their favorite ride of the summer. I know that the Cup N Cone and the NCBC Summer Rally are probably my two summer favorites.

The organizers reported that 514 cyclists registered this year (up from 370 last year) and more than $10,000 was raised for the National MS Society.

During various parts of the route, I rode with Gay, the Toms, Chris, Cindy, Sandra, Doug, one of the Freds, CBC Bob, Suzanne, and Larry. Tom W. and Chris and I rode the entire route together. Despite the hills on Lystra and Damascus Church, the speed was pretty high.

All and all, the Cup N Cone was as enjoyable a ride as ever!

Yesterday, I had a 3.5-4 hour ride on my training plan. I decided to ride for an hour or so and then meet up with the Team CBC group to ride for two hours and then bike home. Of course CBC Bob was there since he is the one of the main organizers. Last week we did the same 38-mile route and it is very pleasant. The downside to this plan was that I had to get up early so that I could leave the house in plenty of time to complete my 20+ miles before meeting up with the CBC group. Overall, the day's riding went well for another 70 miles in the books and over 4000 miles ridden this year.

Over the weekend I asked several riders about Cycle North Carolina. I have been thinking about doing that this year. DH actually suggested it about two weeks ago and it's been on my radar before but I've never had the vacation time to do it. If you have ridden CNC and have any thoughts on it, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your mention of Bikefest and thought, "Wow, I'd love to do that but I haven't been riding enough." Hehe. Proof that we have short memories... I think I could be ready.

    ReplyDelete